Tuesday 14 July 2009

A walk to Gaddesby

As it happened I couldn't sleep last night, or get up early this morning to go on that long walk. I decided to go on another walk that was circular and that I could start half way through the day on. From Rearsby to Gaddesby and back, both in Leicestershire. Check the route.


I wanted to stretch my legs and have a wander down some paths that I have never been down before. The walk started out moving along the edges of arable fields filled with cabbages and broad beans. The second half moved down into the valley of Gaddesby Brook. Down here the land is less fertile and it is used to graze cattle, sheep and horses.

I did see some wildlife on the way. This Common Wasp (Vespula vulgaris) caught my eye as it slowly chewed at this style. Wasps like this chew soft wood and transport the pulp to their nest, which itself is made from a paper like substance. What this wasp is doing is sourcing the raw materials for its nest.


I also saw a few of these pretty Gatekeeper (Pyronia tithonus) butterflies. This really is butterfly season. I do like butterflies that are a more gentle looking, and less striking. If you were wondering why butterflies have eye spots then think about what kind of animals have a pair of eyes that look forward at you.

No comments:

Post a Comment