Wednesday 15 July 2009

Mammal life at Bradgate Park

A short training walk today around Bradgate Park this afternoon yielded some interesting species. This is the route I walked.

The first thing I saw was the smaller species of deer that inhabit the country park, the Fallow Deer (Dama Dama). Now either they are extremely tame, or my camouflage gear is very good because at one point I could have touched one that was grazing near me. The Fallow Deer at Bradgate seem to hang around in small (~10) herds and graze together. I felt honored to get so close to them. It was fantastic!

There is another species of deer in the park that are best avoided. These are the Red Deer (Cervus elaphus). I dislike how people describe the stags as aggressive. At most they are territorial and grumpy. The best thing to do is just stay out of their way.

During my day I did come across two alien mammals. The first is visible in the picture at the top. See it? Yes that's it the Rabbit (Oryctolagus cuniculus ). The other was a Grey Squirrel (Sciurus carolinensis ) that I found in the woods. It wasn't a tame one, so I had to use all my cunning to film him. Yes, that's right, I hid behind a tree.




OK so it wasn't a Red Squirrel, but they are long gone. There is no point blaming the squirrel for the fact that we introduced it. Its no good crying over the loss of the red squirrel, crying won't make it better. We might as well rejoice in the squirrel that we now have.



No comments:

Post a Comment