Thursday 2 July 2009

Stingers under the ultra bigascope

In this heat you would be forgiven for resting a while. The other day I spotted this Lapwing or Vanellus vanellus taking a rest in a farmers field. He seemed quite OK that I was there and could see me. He remained alert so as to be able to fly away at the first sign of danger. I left him to his rest.


On that day I also took a close look at Common Sorrel or Rumex acetosa through the bigascope. Lets face it, as every eight year old knows this is one of the dock leaved plants. Most people are led to believe by over zealous science teachers that the alkaline chemicals in a dock leaf neutralise the acid of a stinging nettle. However this is hogwash. Firstly dock leaves themselves are also strongly acidic, containing large amounts of Oxalic acid. Secondly, of all the chemical nettles inject into you (Acetylcholine, formic acid, serotonin, histamine, oxalic acid and tartaric acid) it is the serotonin and histamine that do the hurting and not because they are acidic, but because they are the same neurotransmitters that nerve cells produce when the message of pain has to be transferred around the body. Why a dock leaf helps is beyond me. Maybe we just like to think we have done something about it.

This is a ultra bigascope image of a stinging nettle hair. It is an ultra fine hypodermic needle that will inject its poison if disturbed. Scary stuff.

1 comment:

  1. Wow - I didn't realise that I'd been stung so often by something so lethal-looking. Brilliant picture.

    ReplyDelete