Wednesday 1 July 2009

Scorpions in the bushes

What is the scariest thing you could ever find out in the countryside? How about a flying scorpion? Well that was exactly what I found a few days ago at the hedgerow in Barkby, Leicestershire. I say scorpion, what I found was a female Scorpion Fly or Panorpa germanica. This little monster is like a giant wasp but with a scorpion like tail. The female, seen here, has a tail that looks more like what you would find on the back end of a rattle snake.


I suppose I shouldn't judge it so harshly. Its a thing of nature, and a beautiful thing. I just hope I never find one in my bed. Its not really designed for our time, it is just too good at survival. This creature first appeared in the Permian period 299 million years ago alongside dragon flies and other early insects and has managed to survive every change in condition, every new predator and every shortage of food. It deserves the Earth more than we do.


Back in the meadow of a week and a half ago, I saw no end of interesting things. This struck my eye. A white flower known as Meadowsweet or Filipendula ulmaria. This plant can be eaten, drank, it can make dies for clothes it can cure disease and make beer taste good. Not bad for a weed.



No comments:

Post a Comment