Saturday 2 August 2014

First reconnaissance of Pillar Rock

So where did this desire come from? Back in May this year I fulfilled a lifetime ambition of staying at the Black Sail Youth Hostel in Ennerdale in Cumbria.

Now Youth Hostels are often atmospheric, but the Black Sail is something else. The walls have climbing history soaked into them. When I arrived at the hostel and entered the common room I was instantly taken by the charm of the place. A scene of damp walkers and lots of gear crammed into a small, but comfortable space, alongside an evening of beer and heroic mountain stories left me feeling inspired.

I had planned to do several things whilst there, including swimming in Ennerdale Water, cycling down the track, walking the hills and maybe doing a little bit of scrambling up near Pillar. I spent a lazy morning slowly creeping, with aching muscles, up the Shamrock Traverse until I was within sight of the stone fortress that is Pillar Rock. From the East it looks utterly unclimbable however it is from this direction that it is most easily climbed. 


I scrambled up on Pisgah and looked across at Pillar Rock High Man. Vertigo and exposure swirled around my head leaving me terrified but yet totally convinced that I would be back to climb this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment