Saturday 6 February 2010

Spring is on its way!

Nature has decided that spring is on its way! This morning I was wandering around the woods near Watermead Bridge and came across a vernal carpet of snowdrops on the verge of flowering.
Originally I was looking in the nearby pond for a Red Crested Pochard that I had heard about but on not finding it continued a little way into the woods just beyond. My attention was initially drawn upwards to a few magpies that chattered noisily in the trees. A falling drip of water drew my attention downwards. The mist was manifesting itself as a fine dew over every surface. Every leaf, twig and shoot was covered in thousands of tiny drops of water.
Down on the forest floor a thousand green shoots were silently heralding the rebirth of life. I got down on my knees and manouvred in really close with the bigascope. It makes a nice change to do some close up work rather than photograph unimpressive ducks on the horizon! I wonder what will happen to these snowdrops if the weather deteriorates this week? I'll probably go and check.

Here is a map of my meander.


No comments:

Post a Comment