Tuesday 23 February 2010

Birds at Attenborough

Over half term we managed to get out to Attenborough Nature Reserve near Nottingham. Though it was a bit cold to start with it was a pleasant day out and the sun did say hello to us at sunset. Around the visitor centre there was a flock of ducks and geese that contained a couple of interesting birds.
Who am I? I'm an Egyptian Goose of course! This is the best view I have ever got (or am likely to get) of this wonderful bird. Just before Christmas I managed to film a flock of 17 over Rutland water but there is nothing quite so satisfying as looking at them eyeball to eyeball.



We also spotted this female Pochard in one of the lakes. I didn't recognise her at first because of her white cheeks. If you compare this photo to others I have taken of female Pochards you can see that this one is at the end of winter feather season.

And finally a mega mega never seen one of these before mega new bird - a female Ruddy Shelduck. What a beautiful animal!

The map below shows the route we walked around the reserve


No comments:

Post a Comment