Saturday 17 July 2010

Oadby to Thurmaston via Keyham

Last year I walked to and from work regularly. Thurmaton to Oadby and back again. I took the shortest route and often did it walking as fast as I could. This year I decided that on the last day of the school term I would do it again, but this time entirely through the countryside. The route was significantly longer but it had its rewards. Solitude, nature and of course pubs! I started my journey near the Oadby Owl and headed up the A6 until I found a footpath heading north east. I took it. It was a mistake. Oadby was just off the bottom of the map I had, but I supposed that I couldn't get lost in a town I had worked in over the last two years. But I did get lost. I had left the A6 one footpath too early and ended up heading almost due east. The cloudy sky gave little indication of direction and nothing looked like anything on the map. I decided that so long as I just kept going I would have to come across the Gartree Road and then I would know exactly where I was.
Whilst still lost, but at least in the country, I was treated to one last look at Oadby. The town's St Peter's Church could be seen clearly.
After finally finding the Gartree Road I soon was on my way to Stoughton. The earthquake damaged spire not visible from this direction.
Coming into Stoughton I could see this in the far west. Its the top of the Cardinal Telephone Exchange building in Leicester and to its top right, Bardon Hill. I have a photo of this building from Bardon Hill and due to the symmetry of the situation the land above the building on that photo would be where I was standing when I took this photo. Understand?
After Stoughton the path follows the road a short way before plunging back into rape seed fields and horse paddocks. The village of Thurnby appears on the next hill. Its pretty towered church sits resplendent at the top.
After a swift one in the pub at Thurnby the path leaves the village to the north. It crosses the abandoned railway (above) and then onwards to Keyham.
The path is in a state of disrepair here. The styles are rotten and the farmer has sowed across the path.
A local high point offers a tremendous view over to the north west. On the horizon is the chapel at Ratcliff College. A photo from here the other week would feature the field I was standing in.
Keyham is difficult to spot irrespective of your direction of approach. The Church can only be seen when you get to the edge of its church yard!
But what a pretty little church. Built out of the glorious orange yellow Jurassic sandstone that is common out in east Leicestershire.
The northern horizon is dominated by the wood at Barkby Holt. I've wandered this way before on a circular walk. This was the southern extremity of that walk.
The path charges onwards through yet more rape seed towards Beeby. Its unfinished spire visible the whole way.
Beyond Beeby, the distant spire of Barkby can be seen silhouetted against the Charnwood forest hills.
This was where it poured it down and I got soaked.
Leaving Barkby the path cuts towards the sprawl of Thurmaston. The City of Leicester clearly visible on the southern horizon.


No comments:

Post a Comment