Monday 3 August 2009

Barkby Holt, a new stomping ground

I've been looking at it on the map for quite a while wondering what it was like. Barkby Holt appears as a large slab of woodland surrounded by agricultural land. What interesting things would we find if we went there? I didn't know, so we decided to go.


Progress was difficult but we got as far as we could, all things considered, so we got as far as the entrance to the wood and had to turn back. Standing there at the entrance we got a glimpse of some of the treasures within. This is my species list so far for Barkby Holt.


Butterflies and moths
Painted Lady - Vanessa cardui
Holy Blue - Celastrina argiolus
Common Pyralid Moth - Udea lutealis

Insects
Ground beetle - Harpalus sp



Lets take a closer look then.


This, believe it or not, is the first Painted Lady (Vanessa cardui) I have ever seen. Surprising since they are quite common. This year is supposed to be a bumper year for this creature but so far, I have not seen any. This creature has flown from the deserts of Africa to feed on our thistles. They must be good thistles!This is the first Holy Blue (Celastrina argiolus) that I have ever seen, so it really was a special occasion. The photo does not do it justice but the inside of its wings were a lovely vivid blue with dark black tips. Lovely.


I needed help identifying this one. It is a Common Pyralid Moth (Udea lutealis). I found it in the meadows feasting off the ragwort flowers. Its wings have pleats like a roll neck jumper. The final thing I noted is the menacing predator below. If you were a little creature you would run if you saw this coming. It is a Ground beetle (Harpalus sp) and I must say one of the best photos of one I have ever taken.

No comments:

Post a Comment